Here are some basic steps to get started with Pixvana SPIN Studio. You'll learn how to transform the way you create, edit, and show 360/VR experiences across any device, anywhere.
The following workflows are explained on this page:
- Create Account
- Upload Videos
- Create SPIN
- Download SPIN Play app
- VR Cast
- Pair Device
- Cast SPIN
Head over to spin.pixvana.com and click Account Sign Up to create your account.
Then enter your email address and click Sign Up.
The Pixvana SPIN Uploader is a desktop app that allows you to upload video and audio files to your SPIN Studio account. This custom application is more stable when uploading large media files than a web browser. The SPIN Uploader also provides bandwidth throttling, file queuing and other tools.
The app runs in the background and automatically keeps your files synced and backed up online.
OS: Windows 10 or newer
Processor: 1.1 GHz Intel Core M or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Storage: 90 MB of available space
OS: 10.11.5 or newer
Processor: 1.1 GHz Intel Core M or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Storage: 285 MB of available space
- Log in to SPIN Studio
- Click Upload
- Download the SPIN Uploader app for your desktop:
- For Windows, simply double-click the installer, authorize the installation, and the app will appear directly on your desktop.
- For MacOS, drag the application icon from the disk image onto the Applications folder shortcut or directly into your Applications folder in Finder.
How Do I Upload My Content?
- Open the SPIN Uploader app on your desktop
- Enter your username and password used to create a Pixvana Studio Account3. Prepare your video files for upload. SPIN Uploader supports the following file formats:
Max Input Video Resolution
8192 x 4096 for video, unlimited for image sequences
Video Frame Rate
Up to 60FPS
H.264, HEVC, MPEG4, PNG/JPG/EXR image sequences, ProRes
MOV, MP4, CineForm
Mono, Stereo (Top-Bottom)
AVC Data Rate (recommended)
Minimum: 50 Mbps | Maximum: 150 Mbps
AAC, MP3, WAV
AAC, MP3, WAV
Ambisonic (1st Order)
- Click Browse or drag and drop media files from your computer to the SPIN Uploader.
- Account: At the top right, the app shows the first and last name initials of the current user.
- File Queue: Each file that you drop in the Uploader immediately starts transmitting to the cloud. The name and files size is listed on the left. When the process is finished a checkbox appears. While the upload is in process, a small circle fills towards completion.
- Upload Status: When complete, the upload status will show the number of remaining files out of the total files in the queue. You can see an overall progress bar at the bottom of the window.
- Clear Queue: You can remove finished items from the queue by clicking Clear.
- Go To Studio: Returns you to your SPIN Studio Account.
You will receive a message on your desktop notifying you that all uploads have been completed. All of your files will be available in your SPIN Studio Library.
Warning: The app will warn you if you attempt to quit while the queue has uncompleted items.
Disk Requirements for Video: The app separates the file into smaller segments of 1-10 seconds in length to make sure the file can be efficiently stored and processed in SPIN Studio. To run the segmenting process, the file must be copied. For example, if you upload a 1 GB file you will need 1 GB of disk space to accommodate the segmenting. Once the upload is complete the segmented copy will be deleted.
SPIN Studio enables you to render and encode your video in the highest quality for efficient streaming. Our rendering is a 2-step process that enhances viewing experience in the headset and delivers uninterrupted streaming by supporting different bandwidth levels.
Follow these instructions to render your videos:
- Go to Library
- Select the file that you would like to edit
- The video details will appear on the right side of SPIN studio
- Under Detail, you can change the following:
- Stereo Top / Bottom
- Stereo Left / Right
- Asset Name
- Stereo Mode: Choose from one of the following:
- If your video has multiple languages, you can add accompanying audio files under the Custom Tab.
- Render Name: Enter the name of the render
- Language: Select the language of the render
- Rendering Type, select one of our renderings types:
- Standard is equirectangular. This is great for 4K content.
- Diamond Plane is a better choice for 6K content.
- Encoding Type: Select the appropriate codec format for your render.
4. Click Start Render
Under Renders, next to the name of your Render, a progress bar will appear to indicate the percentage to completion.
As soon as the video has been rendered, you can preview your video in a headset. You can also create a SPIN, share it with a VR Cast, and export to YouTube or Steam.
Once your experience has been rendered, you can preview your content directly in your browser with the VR web player. Under the Renders tab, next to the render name, click the More icon and select Play. This will launch the web player in your browser. Click and drag to see all of the video’s angles. You can change the streaming bitrate using the menu in the bottom right.
A SPIN can feature a single video or a playlist comprised of multiple videos from your Library. When your videos have completed the rendering and encoding process in the production pipeline, create a SPIN for you and your viewers to watch from their VR Headsets.
Follow the instructions below:
1. On the top of the page, select SPINS
2. Click +Create SPIN
3. Enter the title of your SPIN
4. Select Create
5. In the SPIN folder, click +Add Videos > select your video files from your Library that will be featured in the SPIN > click Add.
6. Your newly added videos will have details related to the length of time, stereo mode, video title, and render type on the thumbnail. To change the render you are viewing, select the video > Click Renders > select the More icon next to the render name.
Your SPIN will be available for you to watch in the headset. To watch your SPIN, you will need to pair a device with your SPIN Studio account by downloading the SPIN Play App.
Download SPIN Play app
Download the SPIN Play app. The SPIN Play app is available and compatible in the stores and device below. Click on the links below for detailed instructions.
- GooglePlay + Gear VR Android Samsung Galaxy S8
- Oculus + Android Samsung Galaxy S7
- Steam + HTC Vive | Oculus Rift | Windows Mixed Reality Headset
1. Pair Device
To pair your device to your SPIN Studio account, complete the following steps:
On your device, launch SPIN Play
- Put on the headset.
- In the Pixvana skybox, click Connect to generate a one-time pairing code.
- A pop-up box will appear with the pairing code.
- Write down the pairing code.
On Pixvana SPIN Studio:
- Click Devices
- Click +Connect Device
- Enter the pairing code that was generated in SPIN Play
- Click Connect
- The device will be viewable in a queue in the Devices section.
- On the device you will see a message confirming the pairing.
Repeat the steps above to pair additional devices that will also show up in your queue.
2. Cast SPIN
After you have successfully paired your device(s) to your SPIN Studio account, it’s time to Cast a SPIN!
To Cast a SPIN:
- Go to SPINS
- Select a SPIN that you've created or just use the Demo SPIN
- Click Open
- Click +Add Device
Put on your headset. Inside, click the “Refresh” button in the Pixvana Sky Box to watch your SPIN. Enjoy!
Google Play + Gear VR Android Samsung Galaxy S8
You can download the SPIN Play app for Android in the Google Play Store. At this time, the SPIN Play app in the Google Play store is compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S8 Android. If you have the Samsung Galaxy S7 Android, you will need to download the SPIN Play app from the Oculus Store.
On your Android phone:
- Open the Play app on your phone
- Search for the Pixvana SPIN Play App
- Click Install
4. A progress will indicate if your app has successfully been downloaded.
5. As soon as the SPIN Play App has been installed on your phone the app will be available on your phone's home screen.
Now you're ready to VR Cast. Click here to check it out.
Gear VR + Android Samsung Galaxy S7
If you are using the Samsung Galaxy S7 to power your Gear VR you will need to install the SPIN Play App from the Oculus store using an activation code.
To get started, contact Pixvana at email@example.com to request an activation code for the SPIN Play App in the Oculus Store.
After you have received an activation code, follow the instructions below to redeem.
- Open the Oculus app on your phone
- Tap the More icon
- Scroll down to Payment > tap Redeem Code
- Enter your code > tap Submit
5. A message will appear confirming that the code has been activated.
6. Click Install All
The SPIN Play App will appear in the Oculus Library, the next time you log in.
Now you're ready to VR Cast. Click here to start.
Steam + HTC Vive | Oculus Rift | Windows Mixed Reality Headset
SPIN Play is available for the Vive, Rift, and Windows MR headset through the Steam Store. Follow the instructions below to download and launch SPIN Play.
- Click here to access Pixvana SPIN Play in the Steam Store
- Under Use Pixana SPIN Play, click Free
- Follow the prompts to install Pixvana SPIN Play
- After the app installation has been completed, go to the Steam Library > VR > SPIN Play App
In the headset, you will see the SPIN Play Skybox with ready-to-view content to learn more about Pixvana and featured works from Pixvana’s Production partner WunderVu. Now you're ready to VR Cast. Click here to start.