Here are some basic steps to get started with Pixvana SPIN Studio. You'll learn how to transform the way you create, edit, and show 360/VR experiences across any device, anywhere.
The following workflows are explained on this page:
- Upload Videos
- Set Media Details
- Create SPIN
- Download SPIN Play app
- VR Cast
- Pair Device
- Cast SPIN
The Pixvana SPIN Uploader is a desktop app that allows you to upload video and audio files to your SPIN Studio account. This custom application is more stable when uploading large media files than a web browser. The SPIN Uploader also provides bandwidth throttling, file queuing and other tools.
OS: Windows 10 or newer
Processor: 1.1 GHz Intel Core M or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Storage: 90 MB of available space
OS: 10.11.5 or newer
Processor: 1.1 GHz Intel Core M or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Storage: 285 MB of available space
- Log in to SPIN Studio
- Click Upload
- Download the SPIN Uploader app for your desktop:
- For Windows, simply double-click the installer, authorize the installation, and the app will appear directly on your desktop.
- For Mac OS, drag the application icon from the disk image onto the Applications folder shortcut or directly into your Applications folder in Finder.
How Do I Upload My Content?
- Open the SPIN Uploader app on your desktop
- Enter your username and password used to create a Pixvana Studio Account
- Click Browse or drag and drop media files from your computer to the SPIN Uploader.
- Account: At the top right, the app shows the first and last name initials of the current user.
- File Queue: Each file that you drop in the Uploader immediately starts transmitting to the cloud. The name and files size is listed on the left. When the process is finished a checkbox appears. While the upload is in process, a small circle fills towards completion.
- Upload Status: When complete, the upload status will show the number of remaining files out of the total files in the queue. You can see an overall progress bar at the bottom of the window.
- Clear Queue: You can remove finished items from the queue by clicking Clear.
- Go To Studio: Returns you to your SPIN Studio Account.
You will receive a message on your desktop notifying you that all uploads have been completed. All of your files will be available in your SPIN Studio Library.
Warning: The app will warn you if you attempt to quit while the queue has uncompleted items.
Set Media Details
SPIN Studio enables you to render and encode your video in the highest quality for efficient streaming. This process enhances viewing experience in the headset and delivers uninterrupted streaming by supporting different bandwidth levels.
Follow these instructions to render your videos:
- Go to Library
- Click Set Media Details to configure your media settings
- Under Media Settings, you set the following details:
- Stereo Mode: Choose from one of the following:
- Stereo Top / Bottom
- Stereo Left / Right
- Field Of View: Choose your video's field of view
- 360 degree video
- 189 degree video
- Customize your field of view input by entering the horizontal and vertical degrees
- Audio Settings: If your video has multiple languages, you can add accompanying audio files under the Custom Tab.
- Stereo Mode: Choose from one of the following:
- Select Confirm and encode
- As soon as the video starts encoding, click on the thumbnail image to check the video meta data and encode progress to completion.
As soon as the video has been encoded, you can add your video to a SPIN playlist and VR Cast.
Once your video has been encoded, you can preview your video directly in your browser with the VR web player. Hover your mouse over the thumbnail image of the video and click Play. This will open an a dialogue box. Here you can choose to playback in the browser your encoded video by clicking the play button. Click and drag to see all of the video’s angles. You can change the streaming bitrate using the menu in the bottom right.
A SPIN can feature a single video or a playlist comprised of multiple videos from your Library. When your videos have completed the rendering and encoding process in the production pipeline, create a SPIN for you and your viewers to watch from their VR Headsets.
Follow the instructions below:
1. On the top of the page, select SPINS
2. Click +Create SPIN
3. Enter the title of your SPIN
4. Select Create
5. In the SPIN folder, click +Add Videos > select your video files from your Library that will be featured in the SPIN > click Add. To select multiple videos, press SHIFT on your keyboard.
6. Your newly added videos will have details related to the length of time, stereo mode, video title, and render type on the thumbnail. To change the render you are viewing, select the video > Click Renders > select the More icon next to the render name.
Your SPIN will be available for you to watch in the headset. To watch your SPIN, you will need to pair a device with your SPIN Studio account by downloading the SPIN Play App.
Download SPIN Play app
Download the SPIN Play app. The SPIN Play app is available and compatible in the stores and device below. Click on the links below for detailed instructions.
- GooglePlay for DayDream enabled devices
- Oculus for Samsung Gear VR
- Oculus for Oculus Go
- Steam + HTC Vive | Oculus Rift | Windows Mixed Reality Headset
Google Play for DayDream Enabled Devices
You can download the SPIN Play app for Android in the Google Play Store. At this time, the SPIN Play app in the Google Play store is compatible with all DayDream enabled devices.
On your Android phone:
- Open the Play app on your phone
- Search for the Pixvana SPIN Play App
- Click Install
4. A progress will indicate if your app has successfully been downloaded.
5. As soon as the SPIN Play App has been installed on your phone the app will be available on your phone's home screen.
Now you're ready to VR Cast. Click here to check it out.
Oculus for Samsung Gear VR
SPIN Play is available for Gear VR through the Oculus Store. Follow the instructions below to download and launch SPIN Play.
- Click here to download SPIN Play from the Oculus Store
- Follow the prompts to download the app
- After the app installation is complete, you can launch the app from the Library in the Oculus app.
Oculus for Oculus Go
SPIN Play is available for the Oculus Go. Oculus Go is a standalone VR headset, newly released by Oculus on 5/1/2018.
There are two ways to download the SPIN Play app to your Oculus Go headset.
You may download the SPIN Play app from the Oculus app on your mobile device, or, within your Oculus Go headset you may search for the SPIN Play app and download directly.
Here are the instructions:
- On your phone through the Oculus App:
- Your mobile device gives you the ability to manage your free apps and purchases. You may select an app on your phone and it will send a Bluetooth signal to your headset to trigger a download.
- Launch the Oculus App. If you haven’t downloaded the app find it by searching for “spin” and the App will appear as a result below:
- Click Install and it will trigger the download of the SPIN Play on your Oculus Go.
- You will see a progress bar to indicate how long it will take to complete the download on your Oculus Go Library.
- As soon as the installation is complete, the SPIN Play app will appear in your Oculus Go Library.
On your Oculus Go headset:
- In the Navigation menu, use your controller to search for “spin” and select Go.
- Select the SPIN Play app.
- Click Download.
- When the progress bar is completed, the SPIN Play app will appear in your Oculus Go Library.
Now that the SPIN Play app has been installed on your Oculus Go device, you’re ready to pair your device to your SPIN Studio account and VR Cast! Click here to start.
Steam + HTC Vive | Oculus Rift | Windows Mixed Reality Headset
SPIN Play is available for the Vive, Rift, and Windows MR headset through the Steam Store. Follow the instructions below to download and launch SPIN Play.
- Click here to access Pixvana SPIN Play in the Steam Store
- Under Use Pixana SPIN Play, click Free
- Follow the prompts to install Pixvana SPIN Play
- After the app installation has been completed, go to the Steam Library > VR > SPIN Play App
In the headset, you will see the SPIN Play Skybox with ready-to-view content. Now you're ready to VR Cast. Click here to start.
1. Pair Device
To pair your device to your SPIN Studio account, complete the following steps:
On your device, launch SPIN Play
- Put on the headset.
- In the Pixvana skybox, click Connect to generate a one-time pairing code.
- A pop-up box will appear with the pairing code.
- Write down the pairing code.
On Pixvana SPIN Studio:
- Go to SPINS
- Select a SPIN that you've created or just use the Demo SPIN
- Click Open
- Click +Add Devices
- Click Connect New Device
- Enter the pairing code that was generated in SPIN Play
- The device will be viewable in a queue in the Devices panel in SPINs.
- On the device you will see a message confirming the pairing.
Repeat the steps above to pair additional devices that will also show up in your queue.
2. Cast SPIN
After you have successfully paired your device(s) to your SPIN Studio account and added it to your SPINs playlist, it’s time to Cast a SPIN!
Put on your headset. Inside, click the “Refresh” button in the Pixvana Skybox to watch the videos in your SPIN.
Download Videos for Local Playback
- In the headset, select Refresh.
- Click the Download All button ( ) or the download button on the video thumbnail image in the SPIN Play app.
- All of your videos start downloading immediately. You will see progress circle indicating progress to completion. The load time will be determined by wifi connection, how many videos are in a Spin and length of time in each video. The video will load in the background so you won't need to continue wearing the headset to ensure the video downloads. Repeat steps 1-3 on all VR headsets added to the SPIN.
As a friendly reminder, be sure to watch all of the videos in your Spin playlist to ensure the experience is as you expect before setting up VR Casting playback settings.
Setup VR Casting Playback Settings
Pixvana VR Casting has a couple of ways to playback video content. There are two options available to playback videos.
- Viewer select mode: Let the viewer choose the video to watch from the skybox with a custom background and logo. Complete the steps below:
a. In your Spin, click on the Spin Settings icon and scroll to the SPIN Play Customization section.
b. Under Logo, move your cursor over the Pixvana SPIN Play logo and click upload to add your company or client logo from your desktop.
c. Under Skybox, move your cursor over the Pixvana highway equirect image, click upload to add your custom equirect image.
All of your changes will save automatically in SPIN Studio. Next, put on your Oculus Go headset, launch the SPIN Play app, and using your controller select the Refresh button to see your changes. Remember to click refresh on all of the headsets to see the custom logo and background.
2. Automatically playback videos: With Auto Play, the viewer sees a 5 seconds countdown followed by the videos in the Spin. Those videos will automatically play in the order the video is organized from left to right in your Spin.
As soon as the this feature is activated, all Oculus Go controller functionality is disabled except for the main "O" button. Please note: Auto Play still requires usage of the controller close to wake up the headset and set the orientation of the headset with the prompt to enter VR. This is a feature of the Oculus Go VR headset that cannot be changed at this time.
Complete the steps below to setup Auto Play.
a. In your Spin, click on the Spin Settings icon.
b. Under SPIN Settings, next to Auto Play and Loop Playlist toggle the slider to ON to activate Auto Play.
c. All of your changes will be saved automatically in SPIN Studio. Next put on your VR headset, and launch the SPIN Play app.
After setting up your VR Casting playback settings, you're ready for your event!