VR Casting is a feature in Pixvana SPIN Studio- including SPIN Play allows you to share and deliver your 360 VR videos to multiple headsets for an event. Oculus is a standalone VR headset perfect for events.
To better assist the tech team at this event, here are the instructions to setup VR Casting with your Oculus Go headsets.
- Secure the VR Headsets and devices that will be used for the event.
- Make sure all devices have been charged or have a sufficient battery charge.
- Label all devices, VR headsets, and complementary accessories (such as the headphones, cases, and controllers) using a number or naming convention.
- Download the SPIN Play app in the Oculus Go Store onto all of your headsets here.
- With the headset, launch the SPIN Play app and under video thumbnails select Connect
- This will generate a 6- digit alphanumeric pairing code. Write down the code.
Upload and Encode Videos
From your desktop log into Pixvana SPIN Studio at spin.pixvana.com.
- Upload videos
- Prepare your video and audio files to SPIN Studio’s supported file formats listed here.
- Download the SPIN Uploader then drag and drop your files into the uploader.
- All videos successfully uploaded will appear in the Library and you will need to start the process to encode your videos.
- Click Set Media Details button on the video thumbnail image in the Library or Meta Details Panel on the right.
- The dialogue box will appear prompting you to enter the following fields:
- Rename the encoded version of the file
- Set the mode details: Mono, Stereo Top/Bottom, Stereo Right/Left
- Choose the field of view of the video. By default SPIN Studio will choose 360. However, we can support any degree field of view starting from 180 through 360.
- Embed the audio
- Click Confirm and Encode
- You will see the video in the encoding queue in the panel in the right with a progress to completion bar. As soon as the video encoding is complete. Click on the play icon to generate a web preview then navigate to the Spins tab.
Create a Spin
A Spin is a collection or playlist of videos that will be watched at the event.
- Click +Create SPIN.
- Type in a title for your Spin then click Create.
- Click + Add Video to add your mastered videos from the Library to the SPIN playlist. Then click Add to confirm.
- Click Add Devices to select all casting devices. Then click Add to confirm.
Download Videos for Local Playback
Perform a test run on all of the VR headsets that have added to a Spin. Remember connect to the WiFi in order to download your video files to your device.
- In the headset, select Refresh.
- Click the Download All button ( ) or the download button on the video thumbnail image in the SPIN Play app.
- All of your videos start downloading immediately. You will see progress circle indicating progress to completion. The load time will be determined by wifi connection, how many videos are in a Spin and length of time in each video. The video will load in the background so you won't need to continue wearing the headset to ensure the video downloads. Repeat steps 1-3 on all VR headsets added to the SPIN.
As a friendly reminder, be sure to watch all of the videos in your Spin playlist to ensure the experience is as you expect before setting up VR Casting playback settings.
Setup VR Casting Playback Settings
Pixvana VR Casting has a couple ways to playback video content. There are two options available to playback videos.
- Viewer select mode: Let the viewer choose the video to watch from the skybox with a custom background and logo. Complete the steps below:
a. In your Spin, click on the Spin Settings icon and scroll to the SPIN Play Customization section.
b. Under Logo, move your cursor over the Pixvana SPIN Play logo and click upload to add your company or client logo from your desktop.
c. Under Skybox, move your cursor over the Pixvana highway equirect image, click upload to add your custom equirect image.
All of your changes will save automatically in SPIN Studio. Next, put on your Oculus Go headset, launch the SPIN Play app, and using your controller select the Refresh button to see your changes. Remember to click refresh on all of the headsets to see the custom logo and background.
2. Automatically playback videos: With Auto Play, the viewer sees a 5 seconds countdown followed by the videos in the Spin. Those videos will automatically play in the order the video is organized from left to right in your Spin.
As soon as the this feature is activated, all Oculus Go controller functionality is disabled except for the main "O" button. Please note: Auto Play still requires usage of the controller close to wake up the headset and set the orientation of the headset with the prompt to enter VR. This is a feature of the Oculus Go VR headset that cannot be changed at this time.
Complete the steps below to setup Auto Play.
a. In your Spin, click on the Spin Settings icon.
b. Under SPIN Settings, next to Auto Play and Loop Playlist toggle the slider to ON to activate Auto Play.
c. All of your changes will be saved automatically in SPIN Studio. Next put on your VR headset, and launch the SPIN Play app.
After setting up your VR Casting playback settings, you're ready for your event!