SPIN Guide allows you to present VR videos synchronously across multiple headsets with complete playback control and a real-time preview. By utilizing the power of SPIN Studio’s cloud platform, you can quickly deploy and provision VR experiences across an entire fleet of headsets.
SPIN Guide can be downloaded by going to the SPINs tab, clicking the 'SPIN Guide' button, then selecting the download for your Windows or Mac operating system.
How to use SPIN Guide:
This page will walk you through the necessary and recommended steps to smoothly conduct a guided VR experience. The steps laid out here will allow you to present on a Local Area Network (LAN) without internet access. Right now, SPIN Guide only works on a LAN with up to 35 headsets.
There are two distinct locations where the use of SPIN Guide takes place. Off-site is in your office, or home, where you will be preparing and provisioning your headsets. On-location is at the location where you will be presenting to a group of people – this could be in a conference room or on the show floor.
Collect your hardware:
- Oculus Go or Oculus Rift headsets
- Laptop or desktop computer
- Wifi router set to Access Point
All of the Oculus headsets should be updated to the latest firmware.
The recommended technical specifications of the computer running SPIN guide are 7th-generation Intel i5 processor with Iris Plus 640 integrated graphics, 16GB RAM, and 4GB HD space. The minimum specifications are 5th generation Intel i5 with Iris Graphics 6100, 8GB RAM, and 200MB HD space.
When setting up the Wifi Router, enter the administration set-up and set the router to be in Access Point mode. Each router has its own interface to do this. We recommend looking at the manufacturer’s manuals to figure out this process. A portable travel router we recommend is the TP Link TL-WR810n.
What you need to do off-site:
In the headset:
Download and Pair:
- Search the Oculus Store for SPIN Play and download
- Start SPIN Play
- Click Pair Device at the bottom of the gallery
- In SPIN Studio pair the headset to the desired SPIN
- In SPIN Play, click continue
Provision headsets for offline presenting
- In SPIN Studio, go the device manager tab (top right corner)
- Create a device group
- Add your paired devices to the device group
- Select the SPIN for the device group
- Turn on "Autodownload" policy, and turn on "Lock" policy
- Wake up each device running SPIN Play
- They should each begin downloading. Once they are done downloading they will enter a lock mode, which reduces the number of buttons in the interface.
- Once the headsets are in lock mode, switch over the Wifi to that of the LAN router you wish to use at the time of presentation
On the computer:
Download and Pair:
- In SPIN Studio enter the SPINS tab
- Find the SPIN Guide download link and install it on your machine
- Open SPIN Guide and you are presented with a Pairing code
- In SPIN Studio pair the laptop to the desired SPIN
- In SPIN Guide, click continue
Provision SPIN Guide for offline presenting
- Click the Download All icon to begin downloading content locally
- Wait until there is a small check mark next to the Download All icon
- Click the cog to enter settings
- Toggle on Content Offline Mode
- Quit SPIN Guide
- Change Wifi to that of the portable router
Turn off firewall (only on Windows)
- Open the Control Panel
- Go to System Security > Windows Defender Firewall > ‘Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off’
- In this window choose the ‘Turn off…’ option for both Private and Public network settings
- Click ‘OK’ to apply and save these changes
Turn off ethernet (only on Windows):
- Open the Control Panel
- Go to ‘View network status and tasks’ > ‘Change adapter settings’
- Right-click all Ethernet Adapters and click ‘Disable’
What you need to do on-location:
Prepare to present:
- Plug in the router near the presentation location
- On the computer, start SPIN Guide. Ensure the computer is connected to your router’s network
- On all the headsets, start SPIN Play. Ensure the headset is connected to your router’s network
- In SPIN Guide, check that all headsets show up as paired, have Download All icon checked, and have sufficient battery
In the gallery grid view, pressing play on any of the play button on the icons starts the playback on all devices. The navigation panel controls the playback for all headsets. Play/pause, go next or back in a video, seek along the timeline, restart the video, or stop the guided experience entirely.
Switch to preview mode to see a preview of what the headset see. Go to settings to toggle on Tracking Dots to see where the viewers are looking at any moment.
It is suggested that if you are using a laptop to run SPIN Guide then you should have the laptop plugged in while presenting. Laptops often enter a higher-performance mode when plugged into an external power source. Without having the laptop plugged in SPIN Guide may not operate at peak performance.