Pairing a headset is the sharing solution if you want to view a video multiple times without having to re-enter a share key every time SPIN Play restarts. Inputting a share key is convenient and fast, but when you quit SPIN Play it forgets the code and instead lands you in the default playlist. Pairing takes one more step to set up but once paired the headset will remain linked to the SPIN indefinitely, or at least until you switch it to another SPIN in your account or unpair the device entirely.
Pairing is required for setting up a Guided experience, and highly suggested when locally downloading content. Pairing is required to enter Creator and create VR in VR.
How to Pair a headset to a SPIN
- On you Oculus device start SPIN Play
- In the gallery, select 'Pair Device'
- Memorize the six-digit key
- In SPIN Studio navigate to the SPINs tab
- Select the SPIN
- If you haven't created a SPIN yet, click the blue 'Create SPIN' button on the right
- On the left hand side select 'Casting and Devices'
- Click 'Add Device' in the top right corner
- In the 'Pair Device' tab input the six-digit key
- Name your device
- Ensure 'Add this device to current SPIN' is checked
- Click 'OK'
- Back in SPIN Play, click 'Continue'
- A gallery with the SPIN's videos loads
- If you do not see the videos you've placed in the SPIN, then hit the refresh button at the bottom of the gallery.
Pairing to the account versus pairing to the SPIN:
When you pair a headset to a SPIN you are actually doing two things: pairing the headset to your account, and pointing it to a specific SPIN in your account.
In your Devices tab (button top right), you will see a list of all devices paired to your account. A device does not necessarily need to be paired to a SPIN. In this image, the Oculus Rift is not paired to any SPIN; the 'Casting' column is empty for that device. All the other devices are paired to 'My VR Videos'.
When you want to change the SPIN a headset is pointing to there is no need to re-type the six-digit key. You can go to your new SPIN, click 'Add Device', make sure you are in the 'Your Devices' tab, then select the device and hit 'Add'. The devices in this list are devices paired to your account but not paired to the current SPIN. Devices can only be paired to one SPIN at a time, so taking a device and pairing it to a new SPIN un-pairs it from its old one.
This is what a list of devices already paired to account, but not in the current SPIN, may look like: